Bug ID help Requested
Hi there,
These were observed last month, on the leaf undersides of a birch sapling, in S.W. Hillsboro County ,New Hampshire . Are they maybe Aphids ??. There were large groups of them on the underside of many leaves. Hoping you can help me, as I have spent countless hours searching your site, the internet and even the book "Field Guide to Insects of N.A." by Eaton and Kaufman, which I bought last weekend. I took some fairly accurate measurements of them, on a ( US ) one cent for size comparison. Small bug is on Lincoln ‘s chin. Measurements from Precision 7X Magnifier with Measuring Plate. Large Bug: .075 long x .050 wide (1.9mm x 1.27mm) Small Bug: .050 long x .025 wide (1.27mm x .635mm) I still am not sure if these are aphids. By the way, WTB is a really great site !!
Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.
Dick B.

Hi Dick,
Other than knowing that these are Hemipterans, we are stumped. We have contacted Eric Eaton for assistance. Your photos are quite detailed, and your written account is quite thorough, so we are fully confident that Eric will either provide the answer, of know who to contact for the answer.

Update: (08/26/2008)
Hi, Daniel:
The tiny hemipterans are, in all likelihood, nymphs of a lacebug, family Tingidae. I’ll get a friend of mine, who is a lacebug expert, to confirm this. The image with multiple individuals is clearly a collection of shed exoskeletons left behind after molting:-) Many insects seem to have synchronous molts like this. Keep up the great work, don’t be afraid to refer folks over to Bugguide, as we’ve got lots of people who can ID stuff, do it pretty quickly, and correctly most of the time. We will accept images of insects from elsewhere, too, they just would not stay in the guide permanently. Might relieve some of your burden?

Confirmation: (08/26/2008)
Here is Laura Miller’s answer. She is a leading authority on lacebugs.

Hi Eric,
Good to hear from you. I don’t understand exactly what you want me to do about the “reply to all”. But I can tell you the answer here anyway. They sure are lace bug nymphs and the second set of pictures are lace bug exuvia. If he is seeing them on birch, they’re either Corythucha heidemanni or C. pallipes but at least I’m sure they’re Corythucha sp. Cheers,
Laura