Warf Borer Love!
Ha! I think I got one that you don’t have…maybe… Well, at least not on your buglove pages 😉 And just for kicks, a seven spotted lady beetle. All taken in Cayuga Ontario.
Cheryl-Anne Miller

Hi Cheryl-Anne,
We do have a single image of a Warf Borer sent in 2005 and posted on Beetles 3, so the species is under-represented on our site. Your photo of a mating pair is a welcome addition. The Warf Borer, Nacerdes melanura, according to BugGuide, was: “Introduced from Europe. They have been found in wharf timbers between flooding and the high water level, especially which were in badly decayed, well-riddled wood. A severe infestation occurred in greenhouse benches in Ohio. Annual swarming of adult beetles, especially into new structures, can disrupt business operations and annoy homeowners and apartment tenants.” BugGuide also indicates: “Beetles mate in rotten wood kept moist and deposit eggs, which hatch into larvae. Pupation and adulthood follow. The life cycle from egg to adult is usually completed in one year, but in cooler climates, several years may be required to reach adulthood.” We have noticed that you have sent us multiple emails with numerous images. More than one species per letter makes archiving letters much more difficult. Once we attend to the countless other emails we have received, we will return to your communiques to see if any other images will be posted. Thanks for your contribution.