Prionus californicus I presume
Hello there from Palomar Mountain, California (elevation approx. 5,600 ft.)!
My husband and I found this beauty on our front porch last night. It made a wonderful quick “hiss!” to let me know that getting petted was not an appreciated activity, but it was not sufficiently annoyed to wander off. So, here is a photograph of it—an entire 5 centimeters of Prionus californicus goodness .. . and more evidence that yes, these fellows make noise when pestered. I also note that its antennae and legs appear a bit thinner than those of the other large Prionus californicus picture posted on your site . I’m wondering if you could comment on whether that is a variation which occurs with location, gender, age, randomly, or with something completely different. I know you’re busy so no worries if you have no time to respond. Also, if your email service won’t display the photo, I can resend as an attachment.
Thanks for your lovely website. Be well,
Laura

Hi Laura,
You are correct in your identification of a California Prionus. There is often individual variation within a species, but camera angle could also account for distorted perspective in some photographs which may explain your observation about antennae and leg girth.