Silkmoth
Here are a couple of pictures; I didn’t realize there were so many silkmoths that looked alike and wondered which it was. At first I thought is was Ceanothus, then I saw Cecropia, then Glover’s. I am near Prescott, Arizona. Barnes and Noble did not have a book on strictly Moths or Silkmoths. Is there a book availaable? Thanks,
Jane Shrum

Hi Jane,
This is Glover’s Silk Moth, Hyalophora columbia gloveri, which ranges in the Southwest. We always like Holland’s Moth Book. Your image appears to have been altered in Photoshop. Giant Silk Moths do not feed as adults, and are not inclined to visit blossoms. Additionally, there seems to be a bit of unusual layering on the left upper wing where the blossoms appear through the wing.

Thank you for identifying the photos I sent you on 8/11/08 as Glover’s and for the information about Holland’s Moth Book. I am attaching several other photos that should show that it was not altered in Photoshop. The wings appear to be damaged on both upper left and upper right wings and that is where the blossoms showed in the photo I sent.

Hi again Jane,
Thanks for dispelling our silly suspicion.