what is this caterpiller
I’m scanning some beautiful slides of a photographer who died a couple years ago. She had no family and so her friends and I are trying to save her work and show or sell them. It would help if we knew what we’re looking at and I hope you can help with this one. She traveled all over the world but lived the last decade in Florida. I think this caterpiller was from here. Thank you
Cindy

Hi Cindy,
We don’t recognize your caterpillar, but it is a butterfly and not a moth. Because of the structural similarity to the Pipevine Swallowtail Caterpillar, Battus philenor, we suspect this is one of the Swallowtails, probably an exotic species and not a Floridian one. Perhaps one of our readers will recognize this stunning caterpillar.

Update: December 18, 2008
Caterpillar Identifications
Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:57 PM
Hello again, Daniel. … a few other IDs and correction.
This larva is in the genus Idea (Nymphalidae, Danainae). If I could see a high-resolution photo, I would probably be able to identify the species and country/area of origin.
I hope the above information is helpful.
Best wishes,
Keith Wolfe
aka “EarlyStages”