Thanks so much for identifying the Pearly Wood Nymph for me. I received your email this morning to my great surprise. Boy you are fast. I thought it might be the Pearly from you page but didn’t know for sure. Thought you might be interested see a Royal Walnut Moth that laid her eggs on the siding of my front porch almost two weeks ago. She had lots of babies but I don’t know about the survival rate. We saw a lot of dead babies and didn’t know if it was because she didn’t lay them on a host plant that they could start eating. Not two days after all the eggs had finished hatching I had a Small Eyed Sphinx. Such velvet wings. My bug friend identified it from my pictures. Thanks again,
Peggy Scott

Hi Peggy,
Because of time constraints, we are unable to post all of the marvelous submissions that come our way. Many letters we don’t even have time to read. We are thrilled to posty your photos of a Royal Walnut Moth laying eggs and the resulting hatching of Hickory Horned Devils.

2 Responses to Royal Walnut Moth laying eggs and newly hatched Hickory Horned Devils

1. D, Brown says:

We found a female Royal walnut over 5 inches beautiful in a industrial park on a door we brought home to set free around trees before we could she layed eggs not sure what we should do now appreciate any help. The Browns. Toms river NJ

Place the eggs near a viable food source, preferably walnut or hickory, though BugGuide lists additional acceptable food plants: “Larvae feed on leaves of ash, burning bush, butternut, cotton, gum, hickory, lilac, pecan, persimmon, sumac, sycamore, and walnut.” The eggs should hatch within a week, and you can try transferring the newly hatched caterpillars to a food plant instead of trying to transfer the eggs.