Lady Beetle? (Anna, TX)
Location: Anna TX
Hello, and greetings from North Texas,
I seem to have cucumber plants infested with what I am hoping are lady beetles. These are not the usual round little tanks I remember from growing up, but are a bit longer. The cucumber plant is extremely healthy, as are the nearby dill and basil. That is the main reason I’m thinking they are lady beetles. If nothing else, I seem to have a "pink" one. And a really good photo of the red one.
I guess I’m looking for confirmation that these are definitely lady beetles.
Angi

Hi Angi,
These are indeed Spotted Lady Beetles, Coleomegilla maculata.

2 Responses to Spotted Lady Beetle

1. Sabine Dent says:

Will these lady beetles harm or help my corn? also that flying black bug with two orange stripes on it. Will it hurt my corn? thanks first garden and I see lots of bugs.

These Lady Beetles will not harm your corn. They may eat Aphids or other small pest species in a cultivated garden. Only one known species of Lady Beetle will feed on plants, and this is not it. We don’t know what black and orange striped bug you are talking about.