Swallowtail butterflies
I live in Southeast Tennessee, and we’ve had an unusal number of butterflies around the house lately. After days of unsuccessfully trying to photograph them, I finally got one to hold still. . . and then it was joined by another. . . and then a third! It was almost as if they wanted to pose for me. They sat very still and didn’t move, and even though I was walking around them, they seemed totally unconcerned with my presence. I thought you might enjoy the photo of the three of them together. Sincerely,
Amanda McCain

Hi Amanda,
Newly metamorphosed male butterflies from some families, including swallowtails and blues, congregate at mud puddles and other sources of moisture, an event known as a Bachelor Party (since they are all males) and an activity known as Puddling. Dissolved in the moisture are critical salts and minerals needed by the young adult butterflies. Your photo is quite beautiful.