2 pictures for you
Found your email addy on the very good site you have on the web. The moth (pictures attached) was on our porch this morning at Payson, Arizona. It was resting on a (lit) lamp shade and has a wing span of 6 inches! I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of a moth it is and wondered if you can use the pic for your site or whatever else. Thanks
Reg

Hi Reg,
A few days ago, we received our first photo of this moth, Antheraea oculea, a relative of the Prometheus Moth found in Arizona. That specimen was sent from the Coconino National Forest of Northern Arizona. 50 miles north of Payson. We are copying Bill Oehlke on this reply as he is keeping comprehensive data on species distribution.

Location: Payson, Arizona

11 Responses to Another Antheraea oculea from Arizona

1. Lee Lanahan says:

We found one of these in the forest just outside of Williams Az. It was 6” across and beautiful.

2. lisa says:

Was SO excited to see a pair of these beautiful moths under our grape vine this afternoon. But we live in upstate NY. Is their range larger than I tought?

3. Ryan says:

I just saw one in green valley Arizona!

4. Kell says:

I had one on my porch in Crown King in the Bradshaw mtns, AZ.

This may be our favorite North American Giant Silkmoth, though we are also quite fond of Io Moths and their generic relatives.

5. The Hiners says:

Two were mating on our driveway this afternoon, Tucson, Arizona.