Taken in Senegal on coast in 2001
This beetle was very “gentle and kind enough to pose for me by ruler. Had the appearance of being carved from wood – so wonder what it’s real name is? Thanks
Bill Frisbie
(I have a few more interesting ones too – but we can start here J)

Hi Bill,
We can tell you the family Cerambycidae, the Long Horned Borer Beetles, without doing any research. Species identification may take hours and prove fruitless as there is often not much information on exotic species easily available online.

Update: (07/19/2008)
Hi, Daniel:
Good news! I got an identification for the longhorned beetle from Senegal. It has no common name, but it is a female Analeptes trifasciata, or something very closely related. Check this out: http://www.cerambycoidea.com/specie.asp?Id=34&Tipo=T&NPag=2 and see if you don’t agree. This is a great website for longhorned beetles if you are familiar with at least the subfamilies, but you are correct that it is time-consuming! Keep up the great work, and best wishes for the upcoming lecture at the Getty this week.