Orthosoma brunneum?
We found three of these around our home this evening, they are attracted to light and pretty much unafraid even when touched. They also shiver and make a strange sound something like a cricket but more unique. My wife had a brief meltdown when she went online and saw a photo of an American cockroach – she was convinced that’s what we had and was ready to move! I had to become an amateur entomologist tonight using my camera, your site and other online resources. I think I can put her mind at ease- do you agree it is an Orthosoma brunneum? This guy is 4.25 cm long and currently living in a jar with a gumdrop courtesy of my 2 1/2 year old daughter. (She named him buggy.) If you concur we’ll grant him compassionate release on the grounds that he’s no roach. Let us know! Great site, thanks for all your hard work, Sincerely,
Joe, Heidi and Hope in Hawthorne, NJ

Hi Joe, Heidi and Hope,
Your identification on the Brown Prionid, Orthosoma brunneum, is correct.