identify caterpillar
My neighbor thinks I know it all, I can’t find this “cat” in any of my books and I have tried the web to no avail. Please help, she keeps calling me (I really don’t mind). But, anyway it seems she has a lot of them and if they will become beautiful butterflies she will not kill them. It is about 3” long and ferocious in its appetite. We live in Port Orange, central fl. Thank you,
Louise

Hi Louise,
This is an Echo Moth Caterpillar, Seirarctia echo, one of the Tiger Moths. BugGuide only has images of the caterpillars. Wild Florida Photo has images of the pretty brown and white striped moth.

9 Responses to Echo Moth Caterpillar

1. Heather says:

I have a cardboard palm that is covered with the ECHO Moth and they are eating all of the leaves and the plant looks like it’s dying. I don’t want to kill them but I don’t want them to kill my palm. What is the best way to handle this situation?

We can’t imagine how you could get rid of these Echo Moth Caterpillars without killing them. Just relocating them without considering the proper food supply is tantamount to slow and painful starvation.

2. Kathy Arrich says:

I just picked 16 of these caterpillars off one of our sagos. In 1 day they have managed to strip 1 frond and the entire center where the new growth had recently appeared. I had only noticed 1 or two on the driveway this year and very few in the past. We live in eastern Volusia County. We now know to be vigilant due to their voracious appetites, not only with our sagos, but with many of our native plants as well.

3. carrollleis says:

These guys (Echo Moths) are destroying my cardboard palms and I really want to be rid of them. Found out they hate diatomaceous earth and run like lightening when DE is applied to the plants, but when the ‘dust’ clears, they’re back. I like my cardboard palms; I’m not fond of these plant gobblers. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them for good?

4. Tabatha says:

We discovered about 30 of these fuzzy cats on an old sago in our yard. They had nearly stripped the plant frondless by the time we found them! I added a few drops of dishsoap to a bucket full of water and placed them one by one under each one and used a hose to spray them into the bucket. Sorry if it is cruel, but they went out fat and full!

5. tom says:

dish detergent with bleach dissolves them. it works like a charm they love cycads but not any more.

6. Felicia says:

Has anyone tried BT? Works wonders on my vegetable garden. Kills all of the leaf eating worms and caterpillars without harming beneficial bugs.