Teeny Tiny Cicada
I found the smallest Cicada today…I’ve been amazed by them all my life and never had any idea they came so tiny! In my online search for the tiny darlings (I thought I may have found a new species…haha) I came across your phenomenal site and had to say, ‘Wow, you are awesome as is your website!!’ I’ve been browsing for hours now…Thank you!!! I will attach photos…including a strange butterfly/moth?? and a Huge beetle (my daughter named it Fancy…hehe…She’s also a Bug Lover! Have a Fabulous Sunday :0) , Thanks again…
Chauntelle Grigsby
Boerne, Texas

Hi Chauntelle,
We thought you grew everthing larger in Texas!!! We must confess we are not certain about what your Cicada is exactly. We think it looks similar to a Beameria venosa posted to BugGuide that is also from Texas. Your photo shows more detail, so perhaps a cicada expert can provide more details. The butterfly is a newly metamorphosed Great Purple Hairstreak.

Update:  June 29, 2016
A new comment today caused us to update this posting and to look for other examples of
Beameria venosa online.  iNaturalist has a very nice image.

Location: Boerne, Texas

23 Responses to Tiny Cicada from Texas: Beameria venosa

1. I have found 2 of these itty bitty cicadas this summer, I am in Sanger, which is on I-35, about 30 miles south of the TX / OK state line. There is a large population of the regular sized cicadas in this area and the little ones look much like them, just very petite !!

Sure would like to know what they are …. Nancy

2. Chris says:

I saw one of these on my porch just now. I live in Plano, TX. I’ve seen it a couple of times in the last month. Proportioned exactly like the normal cicadas, but out half as long. I got it to crawl around on the tip of my index finger. Very cool. I also wonder what species it is.

3. Dusty says:

i just found one for the first time in my 39 years on this property.

4. Chad says:

Beameria venosa sighting! Denton, Tx. They are cute little buggers!

5. Joshua watkins says:

I saw my first last week and now I walk out on the back porch and there are 2 more. Glad to finally know what I’ve been seeing!

6. Ann Edwards-Ford says:

I live in Bailey, Tx and believe I’ve seen two Beameria Venosas as well. Didn’t know they existed!

• Jordan says:

This is so weird lol i live in north TX andjust found two of the tiny lil fellas on my porch tonight! Came across this site while googling age of cicadas lol

7. Brandon Bailey says:

I live in San Antonio and have have several of these itty bitty guys through the years. I just thought they were runts. They’re awesome… Like micro machines but alive.

8. Sarah Shaffer says:

Been seeing the tiny ones here in Kansas City!

9. K Adkins says:

Found one today in Austin,TX near the Travis/Hays County Lines.

10. Malia says:

I saw one last week in the yard, and just now found one in my house. So tiny! I used to look for emerging cicadas as a a child in Kansas, and didn’t realize they came in a small version, also. I live in Georgetown, TX.

11. Ty says:

Found one in Austin (Lost Creek) on June 23, 2017

12. Jay says:

I just had one land on my face haha. It is a male and that call is pretty cute. Are these full grown?

13. Bunny says:

I live in San Antonio, TX and I just had my first encounter with a tiny cicada. I had no idea they existed and I’m always looking out for strange bugs. Tiny Cicadas are adorable!

14. Jack Jeansonne says:

Just found a tiny cicada yesterday. Grayish with paler eyes. It’s body was barely half an inch.

15. Brent Davidson says:

Found one in southeast MS while camping and was dumbfounded! Seen the bigger ones my entire life in the south but never that small. I thought I was seeing things.

16. Lloyd says:

One landed on my arm about 10 minutes ago (in relation to this post). I couldn’t believe my eyes as this was a cicada but much smaller than I’d ever seen before. Thanks to Google I found this website and discovered what it was. I’m in Houston, TX so they’ve made it this far into Southeast Texas.

17. Ralph Austin says:

What I found was less than a 1/4 in long. And there were 3-4 dozen of f them.

18. Angela Jahnel says:

I found one last year in my back yard. It was shedding its shell while hanging from a blade of grass. I live in Richardson, Texas(north of Dallas). I saved the shell as proof that I actually saw this little critter. This one was less than an inch long.

19. Patti Erickson says:

I found one of the tiny nymphs on a sidewalk in a park in Grand Prairie yesterday evening. It was raining so I could not get a photo but I moved it out of the rain into a dry area where it could continue it’s journey.

20. Carlton Colmenares says:

They’re emerging in City of Hempstead, Waller County. I found two in as many days. Nice little critters; I find one crawling all over my work glove. cCc