Butterfly in Hendrie
Dear Bugman:
Could you please tell me the name of this butterfly? It was spotted in the Wasaga Beach, Ontario area last July fluttering around on the sandy path in a forest before it landed on the wooden bed of a trailer where it stayed long enough for a photo to be taken, much to my delight. I can’t find photos on your wonderful site that exactly match as most butterflies are photographed from the upper side. Could it be an Admiral, Red or White? Thank you so much. By the way, I sent you two photographs of dragonflies yesterday and am now wondering if I should have sent them and this one, at full resolution. I shrunk them for your easy download but can resend easily if you are interested in posting them to your site.
Jan in Wasaga Beach, Ontario

Hi Jan,
This is a White Admiral, Limenitis arthemis arthemis, a subspecies of the Red Spotted Purple that flies in the northern portion of the range. The subspecies with interbreed where their ranges overlap. Sadly, we did not even see your dragonfly images since we post at random from the many emails we receive each day. We can handle a 5000K file, and it would be great if we were making a poster, but the file you sent was perfect for cropping and posting to the web at 72dpi.