beetle larvae?
Hi, I’ve been bugging on and off for around 40 years but I have never seen one of these before. It’s about an inch long and found it in the dry Texas hill country. It moves very slow so I don’t see how it could catch anything but looks predatory to me, maybe it sits and waits? I know it’s a larvae but of what species, I don’t know. Do you know what this thing is?

Discounting the possibility that this is a Graboid from the movie Tremors, we believe a Beetle Grub is a good possibility, but we are not sure what. It could be subterranean, like the Graboids, which would make it a more effective predator than it is above ground. We are contacting Eric Eaton to see what he thinks.

Ha, ..Graboid.. Well I know your not seeing it in person but you’d see that it’s not a common grub. I noticed too that it has a feature underneath very close to the back end that it probably uses to anchor down and probably helps it crawl through holes, maybe those to finger-like things help it stay anchored too if it catches something at the entrance of a hole, ..speculating a lot there. I guess I’ll hang on to it and see what it turns into if we can’t find more info. Thanks a lot!
David
I was wondering if it was a larvae of a Pasimachus species, maybe something like Pasimachus elongatus? …I can’t find of pic of a larvae of one of those.

Update: (07/02/2008)
Hi, Daniel:
Wow, a couple real challenges! I suspect the grub is a soil-encrusted “wireworm,” the larva of a large click beetle, family Elateridae, but I can’t be positive. Looks like it has two prongs coming out the hind end which would be peculiar for wireworms….