Love your site
Dear Bug Guys,
I’ve been using your site for a little while now. I’ve even sent in a few pictures of some unknown eggs on Acer platanoides, but received no response. I’m not surprised though you guys seem so busy. I wanted to let you know how much your site helps me with my job. I work on a tree farm in Southern Ontario and it’s my job (among other things) to ID pests and disease on our trees at the farms. Your site has come in handy many times and I’ve been able to identify most ‘bugs’. I decided to grow on some Mourning Cloak Caterpillars that were destroying our Hackberry trees. Unfortunately due to my job requirements I had to destroy quite a few, but I saved some and in 10-15 days I should have some butterflies as they have just begun to develop into their chrysalis. I’ll try to send you a few pictures when they emerge. I used to grow caterpillars when I was a little girl just to see what they would turn into. Your site has re-inspired me to take up my childhood hobby. So thanks for having a wonderful site, keep up the good work. Not only do you make my job easier, you also make exploring the bug world fun. Thanks again,
Diane

Hi Diane,
It makes us feel quite guilty when we hear how disappointed people get when we can’t answer all of our mail. Hearing about disappointed children, sometimes entire classrooms of them, makes us wish we could hire a staff, but sadly, we cannot. We are intrigued with the re-inspiration of your childhood hobby of raising caterpillars, especially as we have researching the life of Maria Sibylla Merian in preparation for our lecture at the Getty. Merian used to collect caterpillars from throughout her hometown of Frankfurt and raise them so she could draw the various phases of metamorphosis. We are posting your letter to our third fanmail page.

3 Responses to Raising Mourning Cloak Caterpillars

1. bugdude21 says:

Raising bugs is so much fun! i like to go out and search milkweed for Monarch Butterfly Larva and eggs. Im also waiting for my Walking stick eggs to hatch! Their all girls!

2. Jake says:

I found a bunch of mourning cloaks at my school, and want to know what to do, because a bunch of kids are killing them