i can not figure out what this is. I believe its some kind of wasp moth?? It is not in any of my field guides. I ask you to help me out and let me know what it is if you can. Email me back.
Nate

Hi Nate,
Field Guides, like other research tools, are only effective if used properly. You would not be able to properly identify your Peach Tree Borer if you lived in Georgia and used a field guide to the moths and butterflies of Russia. You cannot properly use What’s That Bug? unless you provide information, yet you neglected to give us a location. Luckily, your female Peach Tree Borer is a very distinctive insect and it was easy enough for us to identify. It is one of the Sesiid Clearwing Wasp Moths. The species is quite unusual for its pronounced sexual dimorphism. The much smaller blue male moth looks like an entirely different species. According to BugGuide, the range includes eastern and central North America.

2 Responses to Female Peach Tree Borer

1. Julie Claire says:

Just saw one for the first time. I live in SW Michigan and I found one burrowing in my shredded bark.

There is sap oozing from the base of our plum trees and we are wondering if the Peach Tree Borer has made it to California, or if a relative may be boring in the trunk of our trees.