Apple tree lovers
I had to cut down my apple tree. It was hit with some disease from my neighbor’s fruit tree and died. When I went to cut it down, I found several of these bugs crawling up and down the trunk and on the branches. They were about a 1⁄2 inch long. At first I thought they might be some sort of immature wasp since my yard seems overrun this year with paper wasps, but after looking carefully at the photos I took, it doesn’t seem likely. I’ve asked several friends who are pretty good at bug ID but no one has seen these before and no one has a name for me. Can you help? I’d like to know if they might have helped cause the tree’s death or if are they something that might endanger other plants or people. Thanks for your help. This web site rocks!
Peggy L . Johnson

Hi Peggy,
This is a Borer Beetle in the genus Neoclytus. This might be the Red Headed Ash Borer,Neoclytus acuminatus, but BugGuide, on the page for Neoclytus mucronatus, states there are 26 species in the genus north of Mexico, and many look remarkably alike.