More clumps of mining bees
Hello folks!
Enjoy the website and it’s addicitive to say the least! Discovered these little critters clinging to our lavender, here in Eagle Rock, a northern suburb of Los Angeles right next to Pasadena. Someone else was asking why these — apparently mining bees, from what you told the other photographer from July 29, 2007– male bees were doing this. All I know, is that for that last month or so, (that would be mid-May to mid-June) these fellows flitter about the lavender during the day and then, when it cools down, they all gather back to this SAME STALK and huddle together for the night. Sometimes, the stalk is completely covered with them! They are there in the mornings when I go get the newspaper! Not sure what the behavior means, but I am glad to see them everyday! Best,
Brenda Rees
Eagle Rock CA

Hi Brenda,
We actually believe these are Long Horned Bees in the tribe Eucerini. There is a photo from Arizona posted to BugGuide, and the photographer says 100s of bees congregated on dried weeds at sunset. We have gotten reports of this nightime aggregating behavior in solitary Hymenopterans, both bees and wasps. We have seen them called Bachelor Parties since they are only males. We will contact Eric Eaton for verification that these are Long Horned Bees and see if he can provide a genus. Meanwhile, perhaps we will meet at Eagle Rock Italian Bakery some day. We love the semolina bread they only bake on Friday. We can also be spotted at the Blue Hen and the Coffee Table on occasion since we live nearby in Mt Washington. Thanks for the nice letter and wonderful image neighbor.

Location: Eagle Rock, Los Angeles, California