can you tell me what this is
It was too high to get a straight on picture…..is it a moth or butterfly?? How very beautiful….the color and the texture intrigue me. I’m attaching two pictures I was able to take. Thanks in advance for help
Eileen Wanamaker

where are you located????????

Southeastern PA

Hi Eileen,
Thanks for the additional information. We are having trouble identifying your moth. We thought it might be an Owl Moth, Thysania zenobia, or possibly one of the moths in the genus Zale, but we can’t be certain.

No, it is not an Owlet Moth….I’ve checked and the pictures online look nothing like the moth I took the picture of. It seems to be a type of moth in the Zale family, the best I can compare, but I can’t find the exact name for it.

how large was it???

Ed. Note: (06/22/2008)
We contacted lepidopterist Julian Donahue and here is what he has to say: “It’s a geometrid: The Common Lytrosis, Lytrosis unitaria. Looks like a male, judging from the antennae. Julian”