Red Legged Purseweb spider
Hello Bugman
I found this handsome guy running across my driveway near a flower bed, and near where we keep our trash cans. I kept him in the little jar for about 45 minutes until I found your picture of a dead one. I set him free near a young red maple in our front yard. After I read all that you wrote, I am hoping he makes it across our yard to a native rock retaining way that would be paradise for him. (About 35′ from where I turned him loose. He never showed that he felt threatened, but I wasn’t sure if he was poisonous due to his large fangs, and that usually beautiful creatures that are brightly colored are most often poisonous. I have attached several pictures of him. While in the jar he looked as if he was running, and his little pointy things and the tip of his abdomen were wriggling up and down. I am not sure what that was all about. He was very frisky when I let him go. Also, I have attached a picture of a large spider my excited sons called a "camouflage" spider. He has an unusual squared off and pointy abdomen. After I let him run off, I saw a younger version of him, hanging out by one of our patio tables. I would appreciate any info you could give me about him.
Thank you for your site. I have three young sons that are very excited about God’s Creatures, so I will be referencing your site fairly often.
Evie P. (Franklin, TN)

Hi Evie,
After the last image of a Red Legged Purseweb Spider that ended in Unnecessary Carnage, we are happy to see you have a sensitive enough world view to question before reacting. While you may desire the lovely male Red Legged Purseweb Spider to take up residence on your wall, chances are good he was wandering in search of a mate and that he will probably continue to do so until he finds her or is killed, either by a predator, some chance accident like being run over (luckily he escaped that bigwheel in your driveway), or deliberately by a human. Nice rock!!! Your other photo is too blurry for identification.