cerambycid with pseudoscorpion attached
Hey Bugman!
Thought I’d send a couple of pics I think are interesting. I took some photos of what I think is a species of cerambycid that has a pseudoscorpion attached to it. Thought you might want to see them. Oh, and I always forget to add this, I took these in Fort Gordon, Georgia about 2 weeks ago.
Stefan Bowers

hi Stefan,
We wish we could tell you exactly what species of Wood Boring Cerambycid you have in your photo. We will seek the assistance of Eric Eaton. We can tell you that the Pseudoscorpion is hitching a ride with the flying Cerambycid, a technique known as Phoresy.

Update: (06/12/2008)
Hi, Daniel:
Welcome back! Coincidentally, I just visited the site today, after ignoring it while you were away. LOL! Hope you had fun in Ohio. I miss the lush vegetation out there…. The cerambycid is probably the “spined oak borer,” Elaphidion mucronatum, named for the pair of spines at the tip of each wing cover. Cerambycids in general seem to be favorite modes of transport for pseudoscorpions.

Confirmation: With Different Common Name(6/12/2008)
Hello Daniel
The long horn in question looks like the “Spined Bark Borer” Elaphidion mucronatum due to the long femoral spines which sorts it out from Parelaphidion spp. and a longer spine on the 3rd antennal segment. Hard to tell for sure due to angle of the photo. Seems to be to robust to be an Anelaphus spp. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work as always.
Brian Sullivan