Bee-Like Beetle
Photographed in central Greece, May 2008. Behaved like a bee, too, buzzing and visiting flowers, but those sure look like elytra
David

Hi David,
We agree that those elytra indicate a beetle, but we are not certain what beetle. Our first guess is one of the Hairy Flower Scarabs in the Tribe Trichiini as shown on BugGuide. We will check if Eric Eaton has an opinion.

Update: (06/02/2008)
Hi, Daniel:
I suspect it is some kind of buprestid, but I agree that an ID may be impossible without more images to work from.

Update: February 16, 2011
Wildabug has provided us with a brief comment that places this beetle in the family Glaphyridae, the Bumble Bee Scarab Beetles.  We found a nice web page called the Scarabs of the Levant that profiles these fascinating beetles.  Here is an excerpt:  “Except for a few species, life histories of the glaphyrids are poorly documented. Adults are often brightly colored, densely setose, active diurnally, and strong fliers. Many species have colored setal bands on the abdomen and resemble various Hymenoptera (bumble bees and metallic bees). They are frequenting flowers (often red Ranuncolacee and Tulipa) and foliage. Larval are free living in ground or sandy areas (riparian and coastal dunes) where immature stages feed on the rooths or on decaying leaf litter and detritus that is layered in the sand.

Location: Greece

2 Responses to Greek Beetle is Bumble Bee Scarab

1. wildabug says:

This is in Glaphyridae.