Bugs are fun
Hello, I’ve been living in central Georgia for the past four years and I’m amazed by all the different species of insects that are out here. Can you please identify this flying bug for me?
Dan

Hi Dan,
We knew it was a fly, and suspected it was a Bee Fly. We quickly identified your Bee Fly as Ogcodocera leucoprocta based on a single photo taken in South Carolina and posted to BugGuide. Joel Kits posted this comment to the BugGuide page: “Nice find! This is Ogcodocera leucoprocta , which occurs from Quebec south through the eastern U.S. to central Mexico. It is one of only two described species in the genus (the other occuring in Texas, Arizona, and Mexico).” We found two additional photos posted on a Bee Fly webpage. There is also a very detailed photo posted to the Canadian Journal of Arthropod Identification website that is associated with the aforementioned Joel Kits. Since we couldn’t really locate any specific information on this species, which is a new species for our site, we will include this general information on Bee Flies grabbed from BugGuide: “Identification Hairy, often brightly colored flies. Legs usually slender, Wings often have dark markings, held outstretched at rest. Face not hollowed out. Eyes almost touching above, especially in males. Proboscis either short with broad tip, or long and used to take nectar. Hover and dart, rather like syrphid flies. Often seen about flowers. Females sometimes seen hovering over sandy areas, dipping abdomen to oviposit. Range cosmopolitan Food Adults often take nectar (or pollen?). Life Cycle Eggs are typically laid in soil near host. Larvae feed on immature stages of beetles, bees, wasps, butterflies/moths, or on eggs of grasshoppers. Life cycle usually one year in temperate areas. “