What’s that bug?!
Dear bugman,
Hello! I must say I really love looking at your site and checking out all the strange bugs in the world. This site has helped me on many occasions! I am writing because I have found a strange bug myself. I saw this in my backyard of Tacoma, WA. Can you help me? I was wondering if this was some kind of wasp perhaps? I’m sorry it’s a bit blurry, my camera seemed to want to focus on the leaves more than the bug! Thank you so much!
Ilona Hoffstaedter

Hi Ilona,
This is a Crane Fly, but we are uncertain of the exact species.

Update: (05/27/2008)
Daniel: The crane fly from Tacoma, Washington is a wood-boring tipulid, Ctenophora angustipennis, and appears to be a female. Males have comb-like antennae and a bulbous tip to the abdomen. This species is harmless, if not a valuable decomposer of rotting wood.

4 Responses to Crane Fly: Wood Boring Tipulid

1. bug says:

Ahh shucks,
    I was hoping it was the phantom crane fly so I could count another family of bugs towards my class bug collection. Is this common, as after living in the South Seattle area for 30+ years, I have never seen this species? It is so much prettier than the common crane fly that ruins are grass!

We don’t know much about this Crane Fly. We will research the Crane Flies of Pennsylvania website which actually covers species that live outside of Pennsylvania.

2. Susan says:

It is a pretty fly but I met them the hard way today.I was weeding and grabbed one by accident without gloves and it was like grabbing a rose thorn. Stuck in the palm of my hand. I have lived in Washington for over 40 years and this is my first encounter with this fly. They are doing a great job decomposing the stump in my yard 🙂 A little disconcerting when they started flying out of it though. Knew it was a type of crane fly since it didn’t have the thorax like a wasp.