Gray Insect on a Citrus Leaf
I was examining the fruits of my bitter orange citrus tree in Miami, Florida when I found this gray insect on one of the leaves. I suspect it’s some type of beetle. Can you please identify the insect? Also, do you happen to know what those white and brown streaks on the leaf are and whether or not they were produced by the insect?
Rob

Hi Rob,
Your gray insect is a Sri Lanka Weevil,
Myllocerus undecimpustulatus, an invasive species from Sri Lanka that feeds on at least 55 plant species in Florida including citrus. Read more on BugGuide and the Featured Creatures site. You have another problem with your citrus. Beneath the Little Leaf Notcher Weevil are what appear to be tunnels produced by the Citrus Leaf Miner, Phyllocnistis citrella, a tiny moth, and according to BugGuide:  “Native to Asia; first found in Florida in 1993. Now found all over the world.”

Thank you for all the information! I thought that perhaps the weevil was responsible for the tunnels on the leaf; thanks for clarifying that a citrus leaf miner was the true culprit. My citrus tree has been left unattended for quite some time, so it has become home to various insects.
Rob

Location: Miami, Florida

5 Responses to Sri Lanka Weevil and Citrus Leaf Miner

1. broward says:

I started having these on my lychee and longan trees this year. They are eating up the leaves! How do I get rid of them? I would prefer non-poison as these are fruiting trees.

Perhaps one of our readers who already has experience with the Sri Lanka Weevil will be able to provide you with some suggestions.

2. talouloo says:

I have these on my succulents, bougainvillea, plumbago/blue daze and they really do some serious leaf eating. In a pinch I used an aerosol Ant Killer and it does kill them, individually, but I feel I need something to treat the soil to ward off eggs and future hatching. I plan to head to the garden center to treat with a long term effect.

3. Matt says:

Just a correction to make here. The weevil in the picture is Sri Lanka weevil, Myllocerus undecimpustulatus undatus. Little leaf notcher is the common name for Artipus floridanus, a different weevil. Looks like the identifier got the common name mixed up. The Featured Creatures page for this pest is here. http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/sri_lankan_weevil.htm. Figure 6 shows a comparison of the two species.