(05/14/2008) anaetus tegulatus
From your web site, I think this is anaetus tegulatus. I can’t find out much about her. I live near Albany, Western Australia (south western corner of the country). She seems to be mentioned in places like Queensland. Is she lost, or have I just not looked for the information in the right places? Can you tell me where I can find more information? Thanks,
Sindi

hi Sindi,
Your identification of Aenetus tegulatus is correct, but the spelling in your letter is not. We don’t know if this sighting represents a range expansion, or if the information online is incomplete. At any rate, it is a beautiful green Australian moth.

Update: (05/15/2008) aenetus moth
Sindi’s moth was seen in SW Western Australia. I am wondering if it might be Aenetus dulcis, which is found in WA and has green females, larvae living in Agonis. See http://linus.socs.uts.edu.au/~don/larvae/hepi/dulcis.html Regards,
Grev

Location: Albany, Western Australia

6 Responses to Ghost Moth: Aenetus tegulatus or Aenetus dulcis

1. […] in May, but it is obviously different.  Several times, we have posted images of moths in the genus Aenetus, from the family Hepialidae, known as Ghost Moths or Swift Moths.  That is our best guess and […]

2. p davies says:

I also found one of these moths in the south of Western Australia. It was lying in the road and actually laying eggs. Put moth and eggs with some vegetation in a jar for protection. She didn’t move but stayed alive for a week or so. Unfortunately the eggs didn’t hatch.

3. julie says:

i just found one of these Moths on the NSW SOUTH COAST ..she was on the ground i picked her up and put her in a tree she started laying eggs ..i just came on to see if i could find what type of moth ,and found this site thank you ..

4. M says:

Just found one in Sydney, she’s laid her eggs, I don’t know what to do with them. Anyone? Such a beautiful thing.