What’s this bug?
Good day
Do you have any further information on this bug? It is known in Angola as an Acid Bug and apparently it does something similar to the Bombardier Beetle and can cause some burns if you squash one on your skin. Sorry for the poor quality on the photo. Thanks & Regards
Bob Coughlan
Cabinda, Angola

Hi Bob,
In January 2007, we received a letter regarding this genus of Rove Beetles from Camaroon. It is known as the Creechie Bug in Camaroon, but we also like Acid Bug from Angola. It is in the genus Paederus, and we found a website with images and information on the Contact Dermatitis it can cause.

11 Responses to African Rove Beetle: AKA Creechie Bug or Acid Bug

1. DEAN says:

WHEN I WAS WORKING IN NIGERIA AND OFFSHORE A FEW YEARS AGO, THIS SAME CRITTER WAS KNOWN AS THE “PAPA BUG”. WAS A NASTY BURN LIKE AREA WHEN IF YOU SWATTED OR MASHED ON YOUR SKIN.

2. kuldeep says:

please let me know treatment for thz bug bite skin area … it burn like fire n spread as well .. because it bite on my leg i couldn’t walk i do not know about this first but when i come to know its too late 4 days i already suffered and even i am suffering know …please if any body know a good treatment for that..

thanks

kuldeep

ernakulam, kerala, india

3. what beatle? Black, grows to 65mm long x 25mm wide has two white stripes
    on the sides at edge of top body. Very hard body and shoots an acid stream / like hose + – 1 meter. very accurate . Stings like hell.
    Found in southern Africa / this one found by the kafue river Kitwe Zambia
    Thanks for your help if you can
    Alastair

That is most definitey NOT the Creechie Bug which is the subject of this posting. Are you certain it is a beetle? An image is preferable to a description.

4. Pls identify. approx 50mm plus long x 15mm plus wide, two black ridges on the back with two white stripes running down the sides on the top of ridges,edge and shoots an acid squirt / spray plus one meter if hasseled.
    Burns the skin. This beatle can move very fast and is hard to squash or kill. advise kids not to get close.
    found near Kafue River Copperbelt Zambia

5. harzy says:

yes, i cant identify it right now because i didnt know it would be so harmful this way. It has black spots on its back or the feather with yellow legs and yellow chest and black head, the stomach is totally empty and it is like a transparent plastic, the stomach seems like it is filled up with air while it is completely empty.
    i was sleeping when it entered under my leg and released the acidic gas which burned my skin immediately under seconds. it pained me for over 24 hours, the wound was exactly like fire wound or fire-burn.
    which made me to rush into the bathroom to wash it with soap & sponge.
    To kill this insect is not much easy due to its stomach is empty.

6. harzy says:

yes, i cant identify it right now because i didnt know it would be so harmful this way. It has black spots on its back or the feather with yellow legs and yellow chest and black head, the stomach is totally empty, the stomach is like a transparent plastic, the stomach seems like it is filled up with air while it is completely empty.
    i rushed into the bathroom to wash it with soap & sponge.