Enviando por correo electrónico: Casa Pacific..Bugs n’stuff
This critter appeared on our deck this morning. The deck is in Panama on the Pacific coast some 15 km west of the Pan Canal. We would appreciate a name other than ‘whatsit”. Regards,
Jan and David

Hi Jan and David,
This appears to be some species of Katydid. You indicate you are 15 km west of the Panama Canal, but you do not indicate if you are heading toward the canal or away. The Katydid may have come on board elsewhere and just made itself visible and you have not given us any clue as to your other Ports Of Call. Your Katydid strongly resembles an image we received from Australia on December 1, 2007 that was identified as a Prickly Katydid. Did your ship possibly originate in Australia?

Sorry about the confusion. We are on land the deck mentioned is off out kitchen so I think he is a local product. The rains are starting and katydids are in full song. The most common one is the green variety which our cats take delight in bringing in to bed before they devour them. Thank you for the identification. Regards,
David

Update: (07/03/2008) Katydid IDs from Piotr Naskrecki
I have been looking at the page with unidentified katydids (Katydids 2), and thought I could help with some ID’s. From top to bottom they are: Panama Sylvan katydid – Acanthodis curvidens