Odd insect in Saguaro Park
Dear WTB,
I took this in Saguaro National Park today, thought the pattern on the wings was unusual…any ideas?
cd krall

Hi CD,
You have taken a most awesome photo of a most awesome insect, the Iron Cross Blister Beetle in the genus Tegrodera. Your photo has the aesthetic of a safari photo of a large animal. There are several possible species, including Tegrodera aloga which is not represented on BugGuide.

2 Responses to Iron Cross Blister Beetle

1. Robert Maccagno says:

Is it common for the Iron cross beetle to attack!
    I was spraying them with bug spray as I must have had some 2-3 hundred in my backyard and was attacked toward my head by 2 of them!
    It was like they were on a mission.
    Been at this property 3 yrs, first time I’ve ever seen them!
    Nowhere can I find that they fly!
    Thanks for the info.
    Bob
    Queen Creek ,AZ

The beetles are getting sprayed with bug spray and you suspect they are attacking???
      We do not believe they were on a mission. It is more likely that the spraying agitated them and they took to the air, possibly disoriented by the poison. We would encourage you to accept their presence and learn to coexist.