1 cm long Red Nematode-like Worm in the Pool Water
I love your website, What’s That Bug. I’ve used it dozens of times to identify insects around my neighborhood and workplace. Now I’d like to try your amazing knowledge on these little wigglers! Every spring when opening our family above-ground pool, I find hundreds of 1 cm long red segmented nematode-like very wiggly worms in the pool water. They have a small black head, small legs near the head, a forked tail, are semi-clear with a dark gut, and are very wiggly. So what are they?
Jeff Smith
Ross, Ohio

Hi Jeff,
These are Bloodworms. Bloodworms are the aquatic larvae of non-biting Midges in the genus Chironomus. They are a prized live food for tropical fish kept by aquarists.

3 Responses to Bloodworms

1. Amalia Leon says:

How do i get ride of them there in my pool

We do not provide extermination advice.

• Erik W. says:

Easy! Just as the article stated in regards to being a prized live food for tropical fish kept by aquarists. Just put a bunch of tropical fish in your pool and I’m sure in no time at all, your bloodworm problem is no more!
      Orrrrrr, you could empty your pool during the months when not in use. Properly maintaining/sanitizing it during that unused time and do the same in preparation for using your pool again.
      Orrrrr, stand by the edge of your diving board with a bucket and yell out, “Here wormy wormy worm, I say, c’mon over here wormy wormy worm”. Then just hold your bucket down and they should, theoretically, come to the bucket. But only if it’s not wood, plastic, glass, ceramic or any other materials like the before mentioned.
      Good luck & best wishes.