Black spider with a red dot
Your site is so informative, it’s making me less afraid of spiders! We live in west Alabama and found this one in our kitchen. I don’t think it’s a black widow because the body really doesn’t seem to be the right shape, plus I didn’t see an hour glass on the its belly (but there is a tiny bit of red). Could you identity this mystery red-dot spider for me? Thanks,
Kelly B.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Hi Kelly,
Your spider is a Red Spotted Antmimic Spider, Castianeira descripta, which according to BugGuide, has been reported from Alabama.

Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama

8 Responses to Red Spotted Antmimic Spider

1. Lori Nisenoff says:

Blue Ridge, GA
    Kristi, thanks for posting. I just encountered either one or two (not sure). I saw one around the house last summer. Pretty much the same thought as you, if it doesn’t bother me, I won’t bother it. It was in and out of the wood surrounding my onion/carrot bed. 20 minutes later I saw it (or a different one) crawling up my pants by the cantaloupe; scared me to death! Will definitely start bringing my camera with me.

2. BJ says:

I also found a Red Spotted Antmimic Spider inside a home in southern WV, in early June, 2015. I have yet to verify their typical range or habitat, but there you go.

3. Thom says:

We just found one in Waxahachie TX.

4. Stephanie says:

I just found one by my pantie drawer! Dallas Tx… I’m burning all these now haha
    But seriously is it venomous?

Most spiders, including Antmimic Spiders, have venom, but this particular species, like most spiders, is not considered dangerous to humans. They venom is used to sedate prey while the spider is feeding.

5. Stephanie says:

But seriously is it venomous?

6. Amy Denham says:

I just found one in my basement in Hays, Ks.

7. Letty says:

Well we just saw one just like this in my livingroom and it scared the living hairs off of me. I’m sorry but with that red color on it’s back just threw a red flag at me so I just gently stepped on it so that I can pick it up and research it. And because I know nothing about spiders nor did I know that a black widow has the same colors until I researched it. The black widow with the same red colors but the black widow has red spots. And this one had a strip. So I have sprayed my house with water & peppermint oil. I want nothing to do with spiders in my house they creep me out. 😱