Black spider with a red dot
Your site is so informative, it’s making me less afraid of spiders! We live in west Alabama and found this one in our kitchen. I don’t think it’s a black widow because the body really doesn’t seem to be the right shape, plus I didn’t see an hour glass on the its belly (but there is a tiny bit of red). Could you identity this mystery red-dot spider for me? Thanks,
Kelly B.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Hi Kelly,
Your spider is a Red Spotted Antmimic Spider, Castianeira descripta, which according to BugGuide, has been reported from Alabama.

Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama

5 Responses to Red Spotted Antmimic Spider

1. BJ says:

I also found a Red Spotted Antmimic Spider inside a home in southern WV, in early June, 2015. I have yet to verify their typical range or habitat, but there you go.

2. Thom says:

We just found one in Waxahachie TX.

3. Stephanie says:

I just found one by my pantie drawer! Dallas Tx… I’m burning all these now haha
    But seriously is it venomous?

Most spiders, including Antmimic Spiders, have venom, but this particular species, like most spiders, is not considered dangerous to humans. They venom is used to sedate prey while the spider is feeding.

4. Amy Denham says:

I just found one in my basement in Hays, Ks.