Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Hello Mr. Bugman.
Just going through my portfolio of butterfly pictures and thought this was a pretty good profile picture of an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. Didn’t know if this would make the grade for displaying on you web site. If you think your viewers might enjoy this beauty then feel free to use it. You probably get hundreds of this very common butterfly. Saw my first butterfly here in Charlotte, NC on March 23. It was in my yard and I startled it when I walked by and watched it fly away but could not tell what kind it was. I am anxious to start photographing some of these early flyers. Loyal observer of your web site,
Patrick Crone

Hi Patrick,
It is nice to find out about loyal observers to the site. Often when people go through their archives, they send photos that were taken years before and in different seasons. We like posting images that people are likely to encounter when the image is posted. The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail should be making appearances in the southernmost reaches of its range right now. Our own Western Tiger Swallowtails have been soaring in our own Mt Washington, Los Angeles garden. We have seen at least three individuals as well as numerour Anise Swallowtails. Our other swallowtail visitor, the Giant Swallowtail, has recently expanded its range to our vicinity, but it appears in the warmer months. We watched two Red Admirals frolicking about yesterday in the late afternoon sun. We haven’t seen any Mourning Cloaks this year, which is unusual. Thanks for your contribution.

Location: North Carolina