What kind of cricket would this be??
I heard this fella "barking" like a toad, at least that’s what I thought it was at first, in my backyard under my landscaping log. When I went to see what it was, this is what I found. Now I looked online to see if I could figure out what kind of cricket it is because I’ve never seen one like this before and I didn’t find an exact match to determine. Is it male or female?? I thought it was a female because of the long pointy antennae thing from the back but all websites indicated that only males make the chirping noise. It’s still there this morning so I don’t think it’s going anywhere anytime soon. Thank you!!! Kathie
Phoenix, Arizona

Hi Kathie,
This is a common Field Cricket in the genus Gryllus. You are correct that this is a female as evidenced by the ovipositor, and you are correct that it is the males that “sing” to court a mate. We can only conclude that there was a courting male in the area that you did not see, or that there really was a toad somewhere nearby.

Correction: (04/05/2008) wrongful cricket sexed.
the field cricket that you identify here is a male, as you can see with the scruffle wings. The ovipositor is actually his wings, real ovipositor is actually longer and have a spear shape head at the end. crickets_2.html many American gryllus have different wing morphs base on their habitat. here is an example of wing morphs, hope it can clear it up. http://buzz.ifas.ufl.edu/482pwl4.htm btw i love your site, but the best way to identified cricket has always been to me scruffle wing since long wings and ovipositor are always confuse. All american gryllus male have scruffle wings except for Teleogryllus oceanicus who in hawaii male have evolve smooth wings to deter predatory flies. how that helps
Anh Tran