Strange grasshopper
I would love to know what it is that I had the previlage of photographing here. I encountered this bug in Bali, Indonesia. The insect is wet, because we had just fished it out of a pond in which the it was drowning tangled in the algae. I thought that it was a Balinese prince which had been turned into an insect by a spell. I am still waiting for my reward for saving the prince. If you don’t ID it, then I can keep believe that. =)
J.Kim

Hi J,
The prince is a nice thought, but we believe this to be one of the Gaudy Grasshoppers in the family Pyrgomorphidae. We have only gotten images of Gaudy Grasshoppers from Africa in the past, but some internet research indicates they are also found in Indonesia. The African species are also known as Milkweed Grasshoppers. They feed on milkweed and incorporate the toxins from the plant into their own systems, hence they are toxic to most amimals. The bright warning colors let the predators know to keep away. We were unsuccessful in getting you a species name on this beautiful Gaudy Grasshopper.

Update: (03/24/2008)
Gaudy Grasshopper from Indonesia 03/20/2008
I believe the Gaudy grasshopper from Indonesia is Aularches milaris. Hope this info helps,
Chad Lensbower

Location: Indonesia

2 Responses to Gaudy Grasshopper from Indonesia

1. Hanne says:

Hi

Thanks for this information. On the mountain Nglanggeran in Gunung Kidul, Indonesia we came across a huge amount of these grass hoppers. Apparently we just came in the mating season, because 90 % of them were mating. So I guess the population in Indonesia is growing! 😀