interesting catapillars
Hi There,
My son is obsessed with bugs ( at 2 1/2) and so I have taken to photographing them for him. Could you tell me what these catapillars are and what butterfly they turn into. The first ones ( spiky) were both on the same mandarin tree but I did not get to see what chrysalis was, presumalbly because birds ate them? This second cool catapillar ( with horns on it’s head) I think may be off a poincianna tree. What do you think? We live in Brisbane, Australia. The third ( fat brown) catapillar was on a benjamin fig tree and again I think the birds got them. I also am sending in this pic of a cool weevil thing that my son caught and later let go. It was trying very hard to bite him! Thanks, Connor is a real fan even though he can’t read he would sit and look at bug picutres on your site all day if I let him! Yours,
Liza

Orchard Swallowtail CaterpillarTailed Emperor Caterpillar

Hi Liza,
The spiky caterpillars on your mandarin tree are Orchard Swallowtail Caterpillars, Papilio aegeus. The caterpillar with a crown of spikes is a Tailed Emperor, Polyura sempronius.

2 Responses to Orchard Swallowtail Caterpillar and Tailed Emperor Caterpillar from Australia

1. Annie Wheatland says:

Can you please tell me how long between starting the pupa stage to the orchard swallowtail butterfly emerging.
    The one on our curry leaf plant has been in pupa for two days.
    I was surprised it was on the curry leaf plant as we also have dwarf lime and kaffir lime nearby.