Giant Crab Spider?
I came across this spider crawling across my bathroom window. I was quite surprised. It is the largest spider I have seen that is not in a cage or a zoo. I was able to wrangle it into a bucket and snap a few pictures. The coin is a US Quarter. I found several websites stating that this spider, the Giant Crab Spider (Olios sp) is common to Arizona, however I live in Porterville California, which is halfway between Bakersfield and Fresno. Did I identify the species correctly, and is this spider common in California agricultural lands? I released it into my garden after taking the photo. Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,
You are correct. Giant Crab Spiders in the genus Olios are also known as Huntsman Spiders. We believe this to be a Golden Huntsman Spider, Olios fasciculatus.

2 Responses to Golden Huntsman Spider

1. thefoxy14ever says:

well hello there i found one of those nastey spiders in my friends house. i live up in northern california about 30 miles northeast of chico, ca. you’d think its too cold up here in the mountains for them but guess not.