powdery white beetle in Florida
Hi, I live in South Florida and found two of these in my daughter’s little playhouse outside in the yard. They’re quite small — just a bit bigger than a lady bug. They are a dull, powdery white. I can’t find them online anywhere. Do you know what they are? (The photos are also attached.) Many thanks,
Cindy Glover, Lake Worth, FL

Hi Cindy,
Your insect is a Little Leaf Notcher Weevil, Myllocerus undatus. It is not a native species and has been reported from Florida. BugGuide has an excellent image, and a Florida Pest Alert Website lists 68 plants that can be damaged by this invasive species from Sri Lanka.

12 Responses to Little Leaf Notcher Weevil: Invasive species from Sri Lanka

1. Tomi Sapp says:

Should I report the leaf notcher weevil? I have several on my orange tree. I live in the Tampa Bay area.

2. Diane says:

How do get rid of these little pest

3. Dawn says:

I use food grade diatomaceous earth for natural pest control in my yard, organic garden and even carpets, it is also excellent for human and animal internal parasites. It is not a chemical and is completely safe I take it twice a day as do my cats. It kills all insectcs and worms but not earthworms! You can read a free PDF manual on it or watch a video on natureswisdom.net. The way it kills is mechanical NOT chemical!!! It is a micro sized particle that is almost as hard as diamonds from fossils of diatoms and also carries a strong electrical charge , it gets inside the pests and literally breaks them apart from the inside. The charge attracts toxins, esp toxic halogens from your body as well. I have gotten off 17 medications using this and this was documented by the VA!!! No more migraines, arthritis, asthma, seizures, anxiety, depression and more!!! I also take 5 shots of coconut oil every day and eat only organic and grass fed/free range animals fedNON GMO, I hope this helps!

4. nick tevebaugh says:

will they hurt pets?

5. Susan says:

Are they harmful to humans or do they bite?

6. Amy says:

I have them on several small trees. I pick them off by hand. They were tricky little bugs… When you go to grab them they just fall to the ground. I hold a Ziploc bag below them and they drop right in. I go out once a day to get them and after a few days their numbers really drop. That may not work for large trees, but on my small lychee and Barbados cherry trees, that seems to work the best.