pictures you don’t have yet!
Hi there! While perusing your site, I noticed you didn’t have any photos of the dewdrop spider. These minuscule kleptoparasites were all over the webs of our golden orbweavers last summer. There were sometimes as many as ten in one web. Also, I know you have loads of spiny orbweavers, but I didn’t see any that were yellow. My husband and I found this one while hiking with friends in Bastrop State Park, Texas. Keep up the great work!
Milly from Texas

Dewdrop SpiderCrablike Spiny Orb Weaver

Hi Milly,
Thanks for sending us your great photos. Researching the Dewdrop Spider led us to information on an Australian species, Argyrodes antipodianus. More searching led us to Nick’s Spiders and a North American species, Argyrodes elevatus. BugGuide lists three genera of spiders under the category Argyrodes, Argyrodes, Faiditus, and Neospintharus, because they have not yet been separated to the genus and species level. The Dewdrop Spider of Australia gets its common name from the silvery abdomen which gives it the appearance of a dewdrop. It is also called a Quicksilver Spider. Your yellow Crablike Spiny Orb Weaver, Gasteracantha cancriformis, is not as common as the white form of the species.

Location: Texas