Wolf Spider Eating Gekko 4 inches accross
I have submitted my photos before my friend loves your site and asked me to submit again. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbatt/943440659/in/photostream/ this has the picture and the story and there are more photos that you are free to put up on your site. “So I moved a sawhorse in my shed and a medium large Gecko lizard went scurrying toward the corner of the shed. It’s not unusual to see lizards and geckos in my yard. Geckos are very fast and I have never been able to take a picture of one. But this Gecko stopped behind a lawn chair so being curious I pulled the chair back to revel the Gecko on it’s back tail wiggling like a worm. Thats odd I thought so I looked closer and there to my amazement was the Largest Wolf spider I have ever seen. It caught the Gecko while it was running and had a firm grasp of it’s neck. At first I was startled but my next thought was Where is my camera? I got the camera and in that time the spider had moved up the wall with the gecko in it’s mouth. … I grabed the tape measure for a size reference I didn’t get too close with it I didn’t want to scare the spider off. The tape is a couple inches closer to the camera than the spider but it’s close enough to be a good measure of the spider. “
MattBatt

Hi MattBatt,
First, let us apologize for missing your photos the first time you sent them. We cannot even read every letter we receive. Your photos are great, but they are not a Wolf Spider. This is a Giant Crab Spider, probably in the genus Olios. Sadly, you did not provide us with a location.

So sorry I live in Orlando FL I have several large oak trees in the back yard so it’s nice and damp and dark back there. I have not seen the spider since the day after when she was fat and happy. My mother and wife continue to harass me about the fact that I didn’t kill the spider. Thank You for Identifying it. I looked at the pics of the crab spider and wolf spider but couldn’t make an ID on my own. Thanks
MattBatt

Hi again MattBatt,
Thanks for the information. In a most general way, our identification has not changed, but now we believe your Giant Crab Spider might be a female Heteropoda venatoria, also known as a Huntsman Spider or a Banana Spider, two names also shared with different species. We located a photo on BugGuide that matches yours and also one on a Florida Nature website. While this is definitely a Giant Crab Spider, we cannot be certain of the species.