2nd contribution
I stumbled across your website last week and I love it! Well done for creating such a website – I spent most of my weekend going through your archives. I am so happy to see that there are many other bug lovers out there! I am going to send you a collection of bug photos that I have taken over the years – I love bugs, but I don’t know enough about them to identify them so here are some bugs for you from South Africa to identify J. I’ll send them to you separately: 2. Beetle Some kind of a colourful beetle we found – also quite big, approx 6cm long Cheers,
Steph

Hi Steph,
First we must say that we are warmed by your enthusiasm. Second, we are impressed that you actually thought to send each of your requests as a separate email, which makes our posting much easier. Trying to keep What’s That Bug? even marginally organized is a daunting task, especially since the staff is organizationally challenged. You should see our office. Also, finding the time it takes for us to post even one letter with all the “real” obligations we have is not easy. With that said, we can only broadly identify your beetle. This is a Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae, but we are not sure of the genus or species. Larvae of the Cerambycids, or Bycids for short, are wood boring grubs. Researching insects from many parts of the world, including South Africa, is not always easy, and there is a noticeable dearth of identification websites for many locations. Our request is that after about a week, any letters that we did not post, please resend them with any helpful information, and please don’t send them all at once.