>Can you help identify Small fly like bugs/insects
Hi Lisa Anne and Daniel,
Noted on the site you’ve had some internet issues and resubmitting wasn’t a bad idea. Realy incredible that you get circa 100 requests a day, WOW! Keep up the good work, I realy like this site it’s already helped me identify quite a few bugs :o) Pity you get the "Nasty readers" but the award is good idea, should put them to shame. Kind regards,
Willem

(12/04/2007) Can you help identify Small fly like bugs/insects
Hi Bugman,
I was wondering if you could help me with identifying these little fly like bugs or insects. You ‘ll find top, botom and side views attached. Though they have wings they don’t fly. When you approach them they jump around, about 5 cm high, and only about 3 times max, they seem to get exausted quite quickley. They are about 1 to 1.5 mm in length. They are about everywhere in my appartment though not in great numbers, one or two tend to show up here and there (though they are difficult to see). Any idea what they are living of? location: Brussels, Belgium. Love the site! Its well made and accessible 🙂 Thanks in advance, Kind regards,
Willem

Hi Willem,
These sure look like Book Lice to us. Book Lice are in the order Psocoptera and they feed on sizing, paste and glue in book bindings. They may infest homes. We believe your specimens are in the family Ectopsocidae based on images posted to BugGuide. We don’t get nearly as many letters per day in the winter as we do in the summer, but we still cannot answer every letter we receive. Thanks for being patient.

(12/22/2007)
Hi Brilliant! Thanks to you I’ve now narrowed their identification down to: Dorypteryx domestica. Kind regards
Willem.