Joseph’s Beetle
Hi Bugman,
My 8 year old son found this beetle in our backyard, and we would love to know what type of bug it is? Hope you can help us on our quest. Regards,
The Hardy Family

Dear Hardy Family,
This beauty is a Metallic Wood Boring Beetle in the family Buprestidae. In Australia, they are known as Jewel Beetles. We beleive your query might have originated in Australia. Perhaps it was the posting date in the wee hours of the night, or perhaps it was the “au” in your email address. Please write back and provide us with additional information.

Hi Bugman,
we are in Australia, in western queensland. Thanks,
The Hardy Family

Hello again Hardy Family,
Now that we are certain of your whereabouts, we will try a bit harder to properly identify this species. We could not locate it on Allan Sundholm’s Buprestidae Home Page though Castiarina rolle is somewhat similar. The closest we can find is Castiarina gibbicollis.

Hullo Daniel,
The WA site http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/ento/icdb/imagelist.IDC has hundreds of pictures of Jewel Beetles! Quite an amazing array. What do you reckon about this one? Themognatha pictipes
Kind regards,
Grev

Hi Grev,
It looks as though Themognatha pictipes might be correct, but the original photo sent to us is quite blurry. Castiarina gibbicollis looks quite different on this site. Thanks for the awesome links. We were going to pull this submission from the homepage and archive, but decided to give it a bit more time thanks to your response.

Update: (03/30/2008) ID’s
Corrected ID’s follow. Readers, and in particular the contributors of the pics below, are welcome and invited to contact me re ID’s for any Australian Buprestidae, which I have been studying and surveying their distributions etc since 1978. I am always interested in new distributional data especially from remote areas. This beetle is Temognatha vitticollis:
Cheers
Allen