Halloween Pennant question
I’ve been enjoying your site for a while now and decided to seek your thoughts on this Halloween Pennant. Specifically, what are the red balls on the thorax of this pennant? I’ve had no success in finding an answer anywhere and haven’t seen any other pictures showing this. I took this picture in New Jersey in early August. Thanks!
Tom Raub
Strasburg, PA

Hi Tom,
We absolutely love your photo of the Halloween Pennant, Celithemis eponina, with the hitch-hiking Mites. These Mites use the Dragonfly to travel from one body of water to another, a means of transportation known as Phoresy.

One Response to Halloween Pennant Dragonfly with hitch-hiking Mites

1. bmoc says:

Actually, these mites are parasitic larvae of a water mite species, probably in the genus Arrhenurus. Some species in this genus are specialists on odonates, others parasitize midges & mosquitoes. Water mites are related to the velvet mites and have the same life cycle, with a parasitic larva and free-living nymph and adult. – Barry