Phasmid Family
Hi Bugman,
Firstly – can I say what a wondeful site you have – truly inspiring. Secondly I wonder if you can help me in identifying the insect in the attached picture which I believe to be part of the phasmid family. It was located in the Daintree rainforest near Cairns Australia. The length of the insect was approximately 5 inches (12 -13 centimetres) and it was quietly laid up on the side of a tree facing upwards vertically. I had leaned in to photograph a cicada that I had spotted and almost placed my hand on top of this insect – I guesss you could say I had a small surprise when my wife pointed it out beside my hand……… Anyway – hope you can assist – keep up the wonderful website. Many thanks
Nick Summers

Hi Nick,
After doing a bit of web searching, we believe this is a Raspy Cricket in the family Gryllacrididae, but there is only one species, the Striped Raspy Cricket, Paragryllacris combusta, pictured on the GeoCities website. The markings on your specimen are a bit different. We found another site that follows the metamorphosis from nymph to adult of the Striped Raspy Cricket or Tree Cricket. Perhaps Grev can substantiate and provide an exact species.

Update: (12/03/2007)
Hi, Daniel:
The “raspy cricket” from Australia is actually some kind of katydid, family Tettigioniidae, but I’m not at all familiar with the fauna down under.

Update: (12/06/2007)
Good morning Daniel,
Let me say I am no expert on bugs. I am just very interested and curious about all the creatures in my own garden – usually if I can identify something it is because I have photographed it and done some research to find out what it is. So, your question about the Raspy Cricket set me searching. I compared it to photos in David Rentz’ s “Grasshopper Country” but remained puzzled. David Rentz says there are 200 species of Raspy Cricket in Australia and most have not been described. They are all nocturnal and spend their days in burrows or in shelters made of leaves and twigs – Nick’s insect was on a tree, so, perhaps not a Raspy. Then I saw Eric’s identification – a Katydid. So, over to the Katydid pages, where there appears one that could be Nick’s insect- a Phricta species, or Prickly Katydid, a rainforest species that lives in trees in Queensland and Northern New South Wales. See: http://www.anhs.com.au/prickly katydid.htm
Hope this helps. Best wishes,
Grev

Update: (07/03/2008) Katydid IDs from Piotr Naskrecki Hi,
I have been looking at the page with unidentified katydids (Katydids 2), and thought I could help with some ID’s. From top to bottom they are: Phricta sp.