tiger moth
Hi there,
while it’s bogong season here in Sydney, Australia, the attached is something I grew up always calling a “tiger moth”. I don’t know much else about it, but they come out in summer. I seem to recall there being plagues of them in the 1980s, but these days you’re lucky if you see a handful each year. They’re about an inch long. Cheers,
Chris Rehberg

Hi Chris,
We quickly located your Tiger Moth, more specifically, Orange Spotted Tiger Moth, Ceryx guttulosa, on the wonderful GeoCities website. This species, like many other Tiger Moths, is a wasp mimic. Just as we thought we had this one solved, we noticed a second page on the GeoCities site called Orange Spotted Tiger Moth 2. This second species, Amata annulata, looks remarkably like the first. Now we are not certain which is correct, but thankfully, both have the same common name.

One Response to Orange Spotted Tiger Moth from Australia, but what species?????

1. Denise says:

I used to catch lots of these when I was a child (I live in Singapore), and have only recently been inspired to check up the scientific name of a childhood favourite. However, I came up with many different ones: the Amata genus, and those as you mentioned in your reply: the Ceryx. I thought that the ones I caught were probably Amata Huebneri, because they looked most similar to what I caught many years ago.

What would you say about the variation in this genus? I’m no expert, and some of them look the same to me! Having said that, at the end of the day, I managed to narrow it down to a genus, and that makes me very happy.