Hello Daniel – Two coppers
Beauty is where you find it, even in the weedy “waste” land of a vacant lot destined for strip mall development. This bronze copper and purplish copper are from Winnipeg, Canada. Coppers are one of my favorite groups of butterflies; ubiquitous and beautiful if you take the time to look closely, but too often overlooked. I noticed you only had one example in your collection so I thought you could use a few more. By the way, this unimpressive little site was home to 4 other species of butterflies and at least 3 damselfly and dragonfly species. You have a great site and I check it almost daily to see what’s new. Thanks.
Karl

Bronze Copper Purplish Copper

Hi Karl,
Thanks for your wonderful letter and your great photos of a Bronze Copper, Lycaena hyllus, and a Purplish Copper, Lycaena helloides. Many years ago, here in Los Angeles where land is such a hot commodity, we embarked on a campaign to have a vacant lot on every block to be used as an undeclared park. Weeds on vacant lots are major insect attracters, and the Gossamer Winged Butterflies are well represented. In Los Angeles, we don’t see Coppers much, but we do see the Blues and Hairstreaks. Also, thanks so much for including the site photo as our readers should know they don’t need to go to exotic locales to experience the beauty of nature.