flies, bee mimics, and butterflies
This was taken in my garden a week or so ago in Nottingham, Pa. It gets southern exposure, so it was pretty warm in the sun. This yellow mum, which smelled so good, attracted LOTS of attention. it was covered in some sort of bee mimic flies, many butterflies, small black flies, house flies, and little flies that looked like sweat bees. None of the different species seemed to care about the others, except to compete for what little nectar was there. I hope you can identify some of these for me. thanks,
Lee Weber

Hi Again Lee,
The butterflies are relatively easy. First, we rotated your image, so you should see the site. At the top is a Variegated Fritillary, Euptoieta claudia. At the bottom is a Common Buckeye, Junonia coenia. Also at the bottom with close wings is what appears to be a Common Cabbage Butterfly, Pieris rapae. The large bee mimics are Drone Flies, Eristalis tenax. Thanks so much for sending such a rich and wonderful image.