Bugs?
I went hiking in feather falls near oraville in northern California on Sunday October 30th, 2007. I came upon a log cut off with tons of pinkesh red insects in a cluster on them. It was damp and starting to get dark outside at the time I found them. Got any idea of what they might be? Thanks,
Shawn J. Ledet

Hi Shawn,
This is a cluster of Millipedes. When we searched BugGuide for a species, we found images of Brachycybe lecontii with the description: “One frequently finds clusters with several sizes and age-classes under bark on decaying logs & stumps” that is credited to Dr. Rowland Shelley. The submissions to BugGuide came from Louisiana, Georgia and Tennessee, not the Pacific Northwest, so we did more research. There is reference on BugGuide that the species is covered in books on the Pacific Northwest.

Update: (01/20/2008) Millipede IDs
Here are ids. for the millipedes on the millipede page. Most are quite old; don’t people submit new ones more often than this? 10/30/07 . Cluster from Calif. They are probably Brachycybe rosea Murray (order Platydesmida: family Andrognathidae).
Rowland Shelley
North Carolina State Museum of Natural Science

5 Responses to Millipedes

1. rmusician says:

I just found one of these millipedes in my bathroom. I put it in a baggie with air to get a better look at it, but only for 2-3 minutes. I put it in the yard after I found this site. I had never seen a pink millipede before.

2. Dawn says:

I was raking leaves and found a piece of wood with about a dozen of these orange millipedes on them. At first I thought it was fungi until I got a better look. Thanks to this website I was able to identify them.

3. Tamara Deacon says:

These pink millipedes seem to be pretty common in the northern California Sierra mountains where I live. I always find them in the wood pile near the bottom. I’m curious what their niche is and if they have any natural predators

We are sorry, but we don’t know the answer to your question. We presume that they feed on the fungus that grows on rotting wood.