Alaskan Backyard ‘Bugs’
Hi! You guys are my new heros! I love the site and I don’t know how I’ve missed it before! I am going to be a regular viewer from now on! Without going through ALL your pix I thought you might like these to do with what you will. I am an amateur bug enthusiast (with only a BFA) that has been fortunate enough to periodically get gigs designing exhibits revolving around arthropods. (LA Zoo’s ‘Spider City’ is one of my designs, as is Santa Barbara Zoo’s ‘EEW’ (not my title)). Another exhibit that you may find amusing (it’s my personal favorite) can be found at www.drentomo.com . It’s cool (in more ways than one) to be able to design from my little studio on the bluffs overlooking Kachemak bay here in Homer, Alaska, then head down to the float plane pond to look for fresh water invertebrates then cruise over to the beach to check out the intertidal inverts. With a tidal range of 27 feet there is some cool stuff there for sure. The ones I find most interesting are the terrestrial inverts (collembolids, rove beetles and pseudoscorpions etc) that make their home at around the mean tide line so that they are submered in salt water (albeit in airbubbles in cracks and old barnacle shells) for 6 hours or more a day! But I ramble on… Anyway, keep up the amazing work! Cheers!
DeWaine Tollefsrud
www.arcticstarstudios.net
Tipulid “Crane fly”, Nicrophorus sp., Caddis Fly, Rat-Tail Maggot” Such an ugly common name for Syrphid young

Rat Tailed MaggotLeatherback

Hi DeWaine,
Thanks for the awesome letter. We don’t normally like posting so many different kinds of insects with one letter as it complicates our archiving process, but we are making an exception in your case. We are fond of the common name for Cranefly Larvae, which is Leatherbacks. The Caddisfly Nymph, both in and out if its case, is a nice addition to our site.

Caddisfly NymphBurying Beetle